It is not surprising that some homeowners may find spring cleaning challenging. Considering you are coming off a cold weather and looking forward to a relaxing season, doing home improvements...
If you buy a commercial laundry detergent from the store, you would be paying nearly $100 for 5 gallons depending on the brand you prefer. Would you like to know how to make homemade liquid laundry detergent for significantly less? In fact, how about making 5 gallons of liquid laundry detergent that is only about $2 worth? Read on and find out how.
What You Need
For many homemakers, the value of making homemade liquid laundry detergent is the enormous savings it brings as well as the flexibility of choosing the type of scent they want. There are many places where you can buy the necessary ingredients making this project quite easy to accomplish. Here are the ingredients that you will need and the average cost.
- Washing Soda ($2.99)
- Borax ($2.99)
- Fels Naptha ($0.97)
- 5 Gallon Bucket with lid
- Essential Oils ($5.00/4 ounces – optional, for added scent)
As you can see, the basic ingredients of washing soda, borax, and Fels Naptha comes to a total of $6.95 only! But, you will not use up these ingredients for a 5-gallon liquid laundry detergent. This means that you can actually do two batches for this recipe by adding just a bit of Fels Naptha.
It should be pointed out that the essential oils do not contribute anything in terms of cleaning power. However, it does enhance the smell of your homemade liquid laundry detergent, comparable or even better than most commercial brands. For a 5-gallon batch you will only use about half an ounce to 1 oz at the most. A 4 oz bottle can therefore last for 4 batches at the very least.
What to Do
The key to coming up with a great cleaning homemade liquid laundry detergent is to make sure that all the ingredients come together properly. Just follow these simple steps and you will not go wrong.
- Grate the Fels Naptha soap until it is completely shredded.
- Put the shredded Fels Naptha in 4 cups of hot water. Place in medium to high heat and frequently stir until all the soap shreds are melted. This should take roughly about 10 minutes.
- Get your 5-gallon bucket and fill it halfway with hot water. Add in your melted soap mixture to dilute it.
- Stir in a cup of borax as well as a cup of washing soda to the mix.
- The optional essential oils should be added at this point if you decide to use it. Use half an ounce to 1oz of the essential oils based on the intensity of the scent you want. You can add more if desired; just make sure the scent is not overpowering.
- Fill the 5-gallon bucket to the brim with warm water and stir the mixture again. Make sure that your stirrer reaches all the way to the bottom of the bucket; otherwise, get a pair of rubber dish gloves and use your hands.
- Snap on the lid of the bucket and allow it to sit for about 24 hours on the average.
After 24 hours you can now start using your homemade liquid laundry detergent. Just to be safe, try it on a small piece of cloth first to avoid damaging any of your laundry.
Obviously, you will not use the entire 5 gallons of your homemade liquid laundry detergent in one washing. To properly store your product, divide it into smaller container or use one container that you can refill as need be.
If the detergent becomes gel-like in appearance, you can dilute it in more hot water. You do not have to add the other ingredients, just the water. The gel-like detergent will liquefy anyway as it is mixed into your laundry water. Not diluting the product will keep its cleaning power intact.
Now that you know how to make homemade liquid laundry detergent, you can look forward to more washes with significant savings!